Leader reported same symptoms as earlier admission following stabbing at 2018 campaign event
The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has been taken to hospital with an intestinal blockage and may need to undergo surgery, in the latest complication from a 2018 stabbing.
Bolsonaro said he started feeling unwell on Sunday afternoon after lunch and was taken to hospital early on Monday.
“More tests will be conducted for a potential surgery on an internal obstruction in the abdominal region,” Bolsonaro posted on Twitter, along with a photo of himself giving a thumbs-up in his hospital bed.
Bolsonaro said it was the second hospitalisation “with the same symptoms” since he was stabbed during a September 2018 campaign event and underwent a series of emergency operations.
Vila Nova Star hospital in São Paulo confirmed in a medical note that Bolsonaro was admitted to the hospital in the early hours of Monday with an intestinal blockage.
“He is in stable condition, undergoing treatment and will be re-evaluated this morning by Dr Antonio Luiz de Vasconcellos Macedo’s team. At the moment, there is no forecast for him being discharged,” it said.
The TV network Globo showed images of Bolsonaro, who had been on holiday in the southern state of Santa Catarina, walking down the stairs of the presidential plane after landing in Sao Paulo about 1.30am local time (4.30am GMT).
In July 2021, he was taken to Vila Nova Star hospital owing to an intestinal blockage after suffering from chronic hiccups.
The far-right leader has been in power since 2019 and plans to stand for re-election as president in a vote scheduled for October this year.